- P. Kelly Smith
Welcome to Magazine Monday! Today we’re spotlighting the super talented and super sweet Dawn McVey. This stampy chic recently graced the cover of Stamp It! Cards with one of her five fantastic projects in this publication (see picture below).
Dawn got into paper crafting by making cards for her friends and family. After awhile they started asking if they could purchase them. Two short years later she had sold 2,000 cards! And since then, she hasn’t stopped! Her resume of published projects is nearing 100!
So without further ado, let’s get to know Dawn McVey a little bit better!
1. What is your favorite thing to paper craft and why?
Definitely cards because they’re a bit of instant gratification. They don’t take a super long time to create and as a bonus, you’ll feel awesome when you give them away!
2. What is your most difficult paper crafting challenge?
My most difficult challenge these days is just finding enough time to get all of the things made that I’d like to. I work full-time besides all of the paper crafting I do, so I find that I have to manage my time wisely in order to not miss a magazine call…or a birthday!
3. What is your favorite paper crafting supply?
Well, I’ve always been a paper girl at heart, but I do have to say that in recent years, I’ve developed quite a love of stamps as well. You can just do so much with both!
4. Name three Paper Crafts designers whose styles you like and tell me why they appeal to you.
- I have loved Nichole Heady’s style for years…clean & classic. I love how even her ‘fun’ cards have a sophistication about them. So classy!
- Melissa Phillips is a designer whose style I absolutely love because her designs are so soft and wispy and dreamy. Each one is a little masterpiece filled with so many eye-catching details!
- And I love Betsy Veldman’s work for her use of bright colors and fun color combos. She creates such cheery works of art that I can’t help but smile when I see them!
5. You’ve had the opportunity to work with a number of different publications. How do you keep yourself organized?
I have a large bulletin board in my studio where I post all of the current calls I’m working on, in order of their deadlines, so I can see them at a quick glance. And I also have a to-do list in my iPhone that I keep updated with everything that I need to get done in priority order, so that wherever I am, I can always check and see what’s next on the agenda when I get back in my studio.
6. Do you have any advice for someone who’s never been published or who wants to try submitting for the first time?
Submit, submit, submit! You’ll never get published if you don’t start submitting! And beyond that, pay close attention to details…both in the work that you’re submitting, as well as in how each magazine handles submissions. You want to be sure and submit your best work and follow directions for how to submit properly. That’s your best chance at getting a project accepted.
7. What design teams are you on?
I’m on the design team at Papertrey Ink and I’m a stamp designer for Papertrey as well.
8. How would you describe your style?
I think my style is generally pretty clean and simple. And definitely colorful and cheery!
9. What do you like about working with Paper Crafts magazine?
I love the sweet editors who make this process so enjoyable. Each one has been an absolute dear to work with. And I love the thrill of seeing that happy little acceptance e-mail in my inbox. It’s still so exciting and I consider it a huge honor to be published in such a well-loved magazine. (Thank you, Paper Crafts!)
10. Do you have a blog or online gallery? If so, please provide the URL.
So hopefully you’ve enjoyed getting to know Dawn McVey a little bit better. Since Dawn and stamping go hand in hand, why not learn from the master? Leave a comment for Dawn and three lucky winners will each take home a copy of Stamp It! Cards.
All comments must be received by midnight on Tuesday, May 19. The winners will be announced on Wednesday’s blog.
P.S. It’s time to announce the two winners from my Freebie Friday - Calling All Procrastinators post! Here they are:
1. Renee (May 15, 10:06 a.m.)
2. Trish Smith (May 15, 11:32 a.m.)
Congrats, ladies! Each of you has won the holiday-inspired prize package from Papertrey Ink! I will be e-mailing you shortly for your mailing addresses. Thanks to all who left so many great procrastination stories!