Welcome to Magazine Monday! I hope everyone is in full Halloween countdown mode. Like I mentioned last Friday, here at Paper Crafts, we’re anxiously counting down the days until we can reveal our team costume. It’s going to be a real scream! (Hint: That may be a clue!)
Since little gremlins will soon be creeping up your walkway, I thought I would bring in an expert on all things Halloween. With two of her four daughters celebrating birthdays near this frightfully fun holiday, I just knew she would have some spooktacular ideas to share. Not to mention, I’m just batty for this designer, and have been wanting to spotlight her for many moons now…
So without further ado, let’s get to know the bewitching Lisa Johnson!
1. Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Alaska – the Chugiak/Eagle River area. I was born in California though, and spent a lot of time there also.
2. Do you work outside the home? If so, what do you do?
Nope, but I volunteer in schools and am very involved in my church.
3. If a movie were to be made of your life, who would you cast to play the part of you?
My girls wouldn’t hesitate to say Reese Witherspoon – with brown hair. (I don’t see any resemblance beyond us both being short.) I can’t imagine them making such a boring movie though. LOL!
4. What song would you choose as the theme song for your life?
I have to laugh…my girls screamed out the theme from Mission Impossible! LOL! (Should I be offended?) I think it’s more like Singin’ in the Rain. I do try to find the happy in life.
5. What is one thing most people would be surprised to hear about you?
Most people are surprised when they hear me sing…I have a very full alto voice. My talking voice is more on the Minnie Mouse end of the spectrum!
6. What/who inspired you to start paper crafting?
My good friend Joan invited me over for a stamping party…that was the beginning of it all!
7. What is your biggest paper crafting challenge?
Scrapbooking! I’ve just never found my groove. I recently took a great photography class so that might change!
8. If you were only allowed two items to create a card beside cardstock and adhesive, what would they be?
ONLY TWO? Sheesh…Okay, um…stamps (and ink since you have to have ink to stamp, right? So they really are one in the same!) and a synthetic sponge. I usually add depth by lightly sponging my cardstock edges. LOVE IT!
9. What is your favorite occasion or holiday to paper craft and why?
This may sound strange but I love Just Because. There is something so inspiring about creating a project for someone with the sheer intention of brightening their day!
10. How would you describe your style?
This is always a hard question for me to answer…I don’t think I have a specific style. I like clean and simple, vintage, detailed, glam…I pretty much love it all! I’ve heard recently from my friends that my style is clean and classy though.
11. When is your favorite time to craft?
After lunch and reaaaaaaly late at night!
12. What sort of music do you listen to while crafting?
None! I start dancing and singing and can’t create or design. I do listen to audio books and watch movies though.
13. How does your family participate in your paper crafting passion?
Well, the mere fact that I have four daughters sort of answers that! I have supplies set aside in a drawer just for them, and an area in my studio. We make everything from cards for their friends to birthday gifts. We are a bunch of busy bees!
14. When it comes to calls and deadlines, how do you keep yourself organized?
I print them and put them in order on a clipboard that I hang from my studio desk. I also add the dates to my computer calendar and send myself e-mail reminders the morning of the call so I don’t forget to actually submit my projects! I pretty much assume I will forget unless it’s e-mailed in a reminder to me…so I do it with every appointment and deadline!
15. Do you remember what Paper Crafts issue your first project appeared in? How has your style changed since then?
Oh my…this really ages me! My first project ever published was for the 2005 Stamping Royalty Card Contest. I think my style may have become just a little more detailed since then.
16. Have you contributed to any design teams in the past or present? If so, which ones?
Yes, I currently work on the following design teams:
17. Name three designers whose styles you like and why they appeal to you.
- Debbie Olson – Everything Debbie creates is so full of depth and exudes a solid sense of design. I’ve watched her for so many years in awe. Her work is full and decadent!
- Nichole Heady – When I first started being published, a friend pointed out to me how amazing this Paper Crafts designer was. I started taking notice and fell in love with her immaculate and innovative creations. Always perfection in paper!
- Melissa Phillips - Have you ever seen someone’s style that was so different from your own and fell in love? Melissa’s warm, eclectic, vintage touches and candy sweet creations exude her equally sweet personality. Guiltless pleasure!
18. Do you have any advice/tips for someone who’s never been published or who wants to submit for the first time?
The best thing to realize is that just because it’s not picked up doesn’t mean it’s not good! Have faith in your work and keep trying. It just might not have met the editorial needs at that time.
19. Do you have a blog or online gallery? If so, please provide the URL.
I do have a blog (www.poppypaperie.typepad.com). Please hop on over!
Thanks, Lisa! Your Halloween projects are simply boo-tiful! If any of you are looking for something sweet to put in your treat containers, make sure you check out Lisa’s “Spooky Sweets” post. Leave a comment for Lisa here and I’ll pick three lucky winners to win a sweet surprise! All comments must be received by midnight (MDT) on Tuesday, Oct. 27.
Here’s to the sweet life!
P.S. If you’ve been inspired by Lisa’s Halloween projects, why not make your own and upload them to our October Gallery Challenge? The deadline is midnight (MDT) tonight, so don’t delay!
1. Darlene L. (Oct. 22, 4:20 p.m.)
2. Connie Wright (Oct. 22, 3:50 p.m.)
3. Shari (Oct. 22, 3:23 p.m.)
1. Kelly (Oct. 23, 7:40 p.m.)
2. Sharon (Oct. 23, 3:50 p.m.)
3. Denali (Oct. 23, 2:38 p.m.)
Congrats, winners! I’ll be e-mailing you shortly to get your mailing addresses and discuss your prizes. Thanks to all who left comments!