Welcome to Magazine Monday and the first day of Stamp It! Cards Week! The one thing I love about stampers is their enthusiasm. While I was reading through the 330+ comments from Friday’s post, I laughed out loud when I stumbled across Sharon Totton’s motto for stamping and for life:
“If it sits still long enough, Stamp It. If it doesn’t, chase it down and Stamp It.”
Now why didn’t we think of that tagline? Genius! It really sums up our latest edition of Stamp It! Cards. In addition to the 152 inspiring designs, we’ve even included fun sections like “Tips from the Go-to Gals”, “Stamp It! 3 Ways” and “Say it with Stamps”. We’ll touch on each of these sections this week, as well as show some amazing stamped cards from the magazine.
Speaking of amazing stamped cards…when we were discussing who should be featured as our designer spotlight for this week, all we had to do was look at the editorial spreadsheet for Stamp It! Cards. One name kept popping up over and over. Actually 12 times! Yes, Kimberly Crawford has 12 gorgeous cards in this issue. Quite a feat considering her first ever publication was last year’s Stamp It! Cards. How’s that for a full circle moment! Go Kimberly!
1. Where did you grow up?
On a lake, outside a small town called Moose Lake, MN. But as of 12 days ago, I became a resident of Iowa.
2. Do you work outside the home? If so, what do you do?
No, I have the privilege of staying home with my newly four-year-old son.
3. If a movie were to be made of your life, who would you cast to play the part of you?
I am going to continue the Jennifer Garner trend because if she was busy working on a film, I could flirt with her gorgeous hubby Ben Affleck.
4. What song would you choose as the theme song for your life?
A theme song? I really can’t think of one, but I have a song for everything. I am one of those people.
5. What is one thing most people would be surprised to hear about you?
That I used to be a high school softball coach and can throw a softball 72 mph, over hand. I also love to golf and watch hockey. I am a sports nut.
6. What/who inspired you to start paper crafting?
My husband. He mentioned this “stamping thing” his mom did when we were getting married. She sent me some supplies and the rest is history. And I don’t let him forget it.
7. What is your biggest paper crafting challenge?
Finding time to experiment with all the crazy ideas in my head.
8. If you were only allowed two items to create a card beside cardstock and adhesive, what would they be?
A stamp and watermark ink. You can do a ton with backgrounds, cutting images out and mounting them with foam tape.
9. What is your favorite occasion or holiday to paper craft and why?
Christmas. I am a Christmas girl at heart. Bring it on in October!
10. How would you describe your style?
Fresh and classy with a tendency towards shabby chic and cutesy on some days.
11. When is your favorite time to craft?
Naptime and bedtime for my little man. If I didn’t have a four-year-old son for an alarm clock, I would stay up until all hours of the night because after 10:30 p.m., I really get creative.
12. What sort of music do you listen to while crafting?
Everything. I love all music: country, rock, Christian, southern gospel, musicals and orchestral.
13. How does your family participate in your paper crafting passion?
My husband sweetly supports my obsession passion. He looks at all my projects and provides wonderful feedback. My son has his own stamps and ink pads, and he even knows to clean the stamps off between colors!
14. When it comes to calls and deadlines, how do you keep yourself organized?
Outlook on my computer. I enter them all in and then a little reminder pops up every time I check my e-mail. I also keep a printed copy of calls on my desk. You can never have too many reminders or lists!
15. Do you remember what Paper Crafts issue your first project appeared in? How has your style changed since then?
It was last year’s Stamp It! Cards, and what a thrill! I am still a pretty simple girl, but I like to think I have learned how to add better finishing touches.
16. Have you contributed to any design teams in the past or present? If so, which ones?
I am currently designing for Spellbinders Paper Arts, Stampendous, Pink Persimmon and am a reporter for The Scrap Review. In the past I have designed for the Flourishes blog team and for two online stores: ScrapLovers and Stamper’s Dream.
17. Name three designers whose styles you like and why they appeal to you.
- Nichole Heady because she is clean, classy and creative
- Betsy Veldman for her amazing color combinations
- Debbie Olson because she makes me want to color everything and tie beautiful bows
18. Do you have any advice/tips for someone who’s never been published or who wants to submit for the first time?
Submit, submit, submit. And then submit some more.
19. Out of your 12 cards in Stamp It! Cards, do you have a favorite? Please talk about the inspiration/design/techniques for one or more of your cards in this publication.
It would be my Live the Sweet Life Card from p. 17. I love how the card came together. I had this gorgeous peach image that I wanted to use, but didn’t have the correct color markers. So, I had to get creative. I knew I had the right color ink, but how could the ink be applied? Then the thought of letter pressing came to mind. Yay for the results! Sometimes I think I have too much stuff. My best ideas come from being forced to be clever with what is on my desk.
20. Do you have a blog or online gallery? If so, please provide the URL.
Yes, I do! My blog can be found at www.kimberly-crawford.blogspot.com.
Thanks, Kimberly! Our friends at Flourishes were nice enough to donate three sets of their Cherries & Peaches stamp set – the same set Kimberly used to create her card above. Please leave a comment and I’ll pick three random winners to receive this set, plus a copy of Stamp It! Cards. All comments must be received by midnight (MST) on Tuesday, Feb. 23.
P.S. Cath is featuring Technique Tuesday in her Moxie Monday post today! Head on over for a chance to win six different stamp sets!
P.P.S. It’s time to announce the three winners from my Countdown to Stamp It! Cards Week post!
1. Paulina (Feb. 19, 8:41 a.m.)
2. Viola Miller (Feb. 19, 8:03 p.m.)
3. Anya (Feb. 19, 12:58 p.m.)
Congrats, winners! I’ll be contacting you shortly to discuss your prizes and get your mailing addresses. Thanks to all who left comments!