Groovin’ with the Go-to Gals – DIY Mist

kim kesti1 213x300 Groovin with the Go to Gals   DIY Mist

Kim Kesti

A few weeks ago I asked our friends on Facebook to educate me on misting. I have a two or three misting products in my arsenal, but I’ve never really used them. In the course of the conversation, several gals mentioned “homemade mist”. I was definitely intrigued.

Today, I want to share my recipe for homemade mist. After experimenting with a few different products, I came up with a mist that was easy to make and performs really well. I own a lot of the Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol inks, so I wanted to see if I could make use of those. I took my little Mini Mister, poured in about a ½ tsp of the Pitch Black alcohol ink. Then, I added about 2 tsp. of the alcohol blending solution. Eureka! It worked.

5011832701 ba6d6448aa o Groovin with the Go to Gals   DIY Mist

I had the best results when misting on glossy cardstock with the alcohol ink solution. For the card above, I let the misted background dry for about ½ hour, then stamped the cute spirograph designs. Fun!

Have you ever made your own mist? What’s your recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think of this technique. Stay tuned this week – I’ll be back on Friday to help kick off the countdown to World Card Making Day.

Kim Kesti,
Paper Crafts Go-to Gal

35 Responses to Groovin’ with the Go-to Gals – DIY Mist

1. kathy clement says:

Ooooh….exciting! I’m going to try it!

2. margaret says:

Kim, the Ranger people say NO NO NO; don’t mist Alcohol inks. You really need to pull this recipe now!!!

3. Agata says:

I don’t have a specific recipe since I’ve never tried it. But you can put some Distress ink into the Mini Mister, add some water and… spray! Good luck!

4. Geri Greening says:

I have always wanted to try misting but the cost of air guns etc. had me stalling. Thanks for the “home made” recipe. I will give it a whirl tonight!

5. charli says:

I use the same recipe–water a bit of alcohol ink and then add a small bit of perfect pearls for shine. love it!

6. charli says:

btw–I didn’t see anything on the ranger site regarding not using the alcohol inks in mister…they recommend the reinker bottles with their misters, but why not alcohol ink?

7. Allie Gower says:

Blending Solution contusions a resin that is harmful when inhaled. It should never be sprayed. It is meant to lighten and Blend the vibrant colors of alcohol ink.

To create a safe mist, take a mini mister and use one small scoop of your favorite Perfect Pearls, a dropper full of your favorite Distress ink, and fill with water. Shake vigorously the first time, and your mister will not fail you. Create countless combinations.

Allie Gower
    Certified Ranger Educator

8. Kim Kesti says:

Okay – awesome that we have the official word from Ranger. I ALWAYS do my misting outdoors, but I certainly don’t want to encourage any dangerous behaviors. I will have to get my hnads on some Distress Inks – thanks so much!

9. Diana Slaughter says:

I have several spray inks in my arsenol too, Kim and I’ve always felt a little intimidated by them. This is great info and I look forward to making my own and giving it a try. Love your card, btw!

10. katie brooks says:

Who Kim, you go from not using it to mastering making your own! Totally cool and I love your card. I have some mist i haven’t used much of, but maybe I should now!!!! :) Thanks for the inspiration!

11. Becky says:

I love this idea! Glad I saw the above comments before I went out and bought anything… Thanks Kristi for the cute inspirational idea and thanks Allie for the healthy hints!!!

12. Beth M says:

I’ve made my own mists using Tim Holtz Distress re-inkers, a little water and some radient pearls. More details here – http://nevertoooldtocolor.blogspot.com/search/label/tutorial

13. Bonnie Isabelle says:

I haven’t really done much misting except for a class I took once but I have been wanting to pick some up and play. Maybe I’ll try one of the recipes or just throw some of my SU reinkers in a spray bottle and add a bit of water and give it a try.

14. Angela Fehr says:

I have used Perfect Pearls and water for shimmer mist but now I want to try the inky variety! Stampin’ Up! and Close to My Heart have some cool misting techniques too – SU has a marker spray thingamajig that looks really neat.

15. Marla H. says:

I love this technique. I own some glimmer mist and Lindy stamp gang mist so I really havent tried to make any of my own but I love how your project turned out!!

16. Heidi Gore says:

I bought the travel size pump spray bottles of hairspray and dumped 1/2 the bottle into a larger hairspray bottle, leaving 1/2 the bottle in the travel size bottle. To the remainder in the travel size bottle, I added alcohol ink (a good teaspoon) and pearlex (about 1/8 teaspoon) and filled the rest with water. Worked great.

17. Noreen says:

I haven’t done any misting, either. But recently I did see a video of Tim Holtz stamping two different colors on a tag and then misting with plain water. I loved the way the two colors merged and how they reacted. I definitely want to try that.

18. Alcohol inks and blending solution should not be sprayed. Certainly never indoors, and outdoors only with a face mask. Doesn’t seem worth it, when there are so many other safe colorants that can be used in misters.

19. Tammy H says:

I have not tried making my own because there has been a lot of concerns about safety and of course spraying outdoors is the best, but I stick with those ready made!

20. karenladd says:

I make my own mist all the time. I use dye re-inkers, a little bit of water, and Pearl Ex powder for shine. Put it all in a mini-mister, shake it up and go. I’ve misted on plain cardstock and glossy paper both, and it gives a wonderful color and shimmer. I like the mini-mister spray better than the bottled Walnut Ink spray that I first used, because the mini-mist is the perfect effect. You can also use it without the Pearl Ex, for a different look.

21. Carol Metully says:

WOW…I didn’t realize there could be so much hooplah over making your own mists! I don’t use any of my misters to the point of being dangerous. Although my husband may disagree!! Love your card Kim!

I actually think hairspray can be dangerous!!!

22. yvonne says:

Looks interesting! Have never made my own.

23. Here’s a tutorial I did for Ideas for Scrapbookers:
    has the recipe on it!
    Thanks!

24. My recipe isn’t sanctioned by anyone! I’ve seen similar recipes on reputable sites before. The alcohol makes the mist dry faster…. Hmm…

25. Carol B says:

I don’t know if anyone has tried this recipe or if it is safe, however, I mix a few drops of Ranger Alcohol Reinker in a Mini Mister and fill to the top with ordinary rubbing alcohol. It works great and because it is alcohol it dries quickly with less warping to your paper than the water based misters.

Carol B

26. I make mine with 1/4 to 1 tsp dye reinker. 1/8 tsp of perfect pearls and either water or blender solution in a mini mister. You can use it to dye ink too. I use blender solution especially when I am in a hurry as it dries faster.

27. Pam Hornschu says:

You can mix instant coffee crystals with water, a little or a lot depending on how dark you want your mist. Works well for that aged look and smells good, too!

28. Beth M says:

Ooh Pam, I love the idea of using coffee. Thanks for sharing!

29. Banu H says:

WOW..this is just awesome. I always have problem with misting. So, this is really very helpful. Thanks so much.

30. Pingback: New and Open - PTI SWAP Due Oct 15th...All are welcome - Splitcoaststampers.com

31. Pingback: Secret Sister Card Kit Swap, Round 3: CLOSED and Chatting - Splitcoaststampers.com

32. KelliJo says:

Can I do this with the Alcohol Inkers? They are Adirondack also… I dont have any of the re-inkers…..same thing???

33. Colleen Macdonald says:

Hi, KelliJo,
    no the alcohol Inks are not the same as the Distress Reinkers. Alcohol Inks are solvent based and diluted with the alcohol blending solutions when combined. The Distess Reinkers are diluted with water to use in the misters for this purpose and will give you some awesome results.

34. Brandy says:

Thanks so much for the idea! I just made some tonight and they worked like a charm and look awesome on my papers using the masks. I used the alcohol inks and the blending solution.

35. blender says:

hello there and thank you in your information ? I’ve definitely picked up something new from right here. I did alternatively expertise several technical issues using this web site, as I experienced to reload the web site many instances prior to I could get it to load correctly. I have been thinking about if your web hosting is OK? Now not that I am complaining, however sluggish loading circumstances times will sometimes have an effect on your placement in google and can injury your quality ranking if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a lot more of your respective interesting content. Make sure you update this once more very soon..