Welcome to Magazine Monday and day one of our exciting Card Creations: Favorite Occasions Week!
So glad you could join us as we celebrate our latest and greatest special issue, Card Creations: Favorite Occasions, Vol. 2! With over 150 ideas for the top five favorite card making occasions, we’ll spend the next five days learning why you love making Birthday, Thank You, Congratulations, Love and All Occasion cards more than any other kind. Sound like fun?
We’re also partnering with the Moxie Fab World blog for a whole week of promotion. Between the two sites, we’ll be spotlighting projects, hosting fun challenges and giving away some spectacular prizes.
Today we’re spotlighting the talented Maile Belles, who has 10 cards in Card Creations: Favorite Occasions, Vol. 2! With her signature style always present, her Celebrate With a Rose Card even made the cover. Wouldn’t you love to know how she keeps coming up with one amazing design after another?
Well, here’s your chance…Without further ado, let’s get to know Miss Maile!
1. What is your favorite occasion to paper craft and why?
All Occasion because it allows you the most creative freedom.
2. What is your most difficult paper crafting challenge?
Creating a shabby/vintage design. I love the look…how textured and detailed these amazing designs can be, but I could never pull it off myself.
3. What is your favorite paper crafting supply?
My stamps! I am a true stamper at heart, and I love it.
4. How would you describe your style?
Clean and simple.
5. What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
My first name is Hawaiian and pronounced “My-Lee”. My mother was born and raised in Hawaii, but I have never been there myself (not yet anyways).
6. How do you keep yourself organized when it comes to submission deadlines?
I mark the deadline on my calendar and print out the submission call, which I keep posted at my desk. This way, whenever I sit down to create, I can glance over the list and quickly squeeze in a card or two. Then into a safe place they go until the call has ended.
7. Name three Paper Crafts designers whose styles you like, and tell me why they appeal to you.
It wasn’t easy to pick only three, but here you go:
- Jessica Witty – Love her fresh, clean and hip style. Her cards are always so fashion forward.
- Dawn McVey – She always manages to pull off a clean look with the perfect vintage touches.
- Lisa Johnson - I seem to relate to her designs the most, and I love her stamping style.
8. Do you have any advice for someone who’s never been published or who wants to try submitting for the first time?
- Don’t be afraid to display your own unique personality through your designs.
- Try new ideas that will help your creations stand out from the rest of the submissions.
- The more projects you submit, the greater your chances are of having one or more picked up.
9. Out of your 10 cards in Card Creations: Favorite Occasions, which is your favorite and why?
My Butterfly Thoughts Card. It’s a super simple yet effective design that uses only a few basic supplies.
10. Do you have a blog or online gallery? If so, please provide the URL.
You can find me at Simply Stamped. Please stop by for a visit!
Thanks, Maile! Since Maile is on the Papertrey Ink Design Team, she scored some fun prizes for today’s giveaway. Leave a comment and I’ll pick one random winner to take home Papertrey’s All About You stamp set, their Fillable Frames #4 Die AND a copy of Card Creations: Favorite Occasions, Vol. 2. All comments must be received by midnight (MST) on Tuesday, Nov. 30.
P.S. You have until midnight (MST) TONIGHT to upload your entries for our November Gallery Challenge. We’re looking for your most festive holiday cards. Click HERE to upload your merry submissions!
P.P.S. It’s time to announce the three winners from my Countdown to Card Creations: Favorite Occasions Week post!
1. Anna D. (Nov. 26, 6:04 p.m.)
2. Julie (Nov. 27, 6:24 a.m.)
3. Sandra M. (Nov. 28, 8:51 p.m.)
Congrats, winners! I’ll be e-mailing you shortly to discuss your prizes and get your mailing addresses. Thanks to all who left comments!