Many of you are already familiar with our Creative Editor, Susan R. Opel. Here at the magazine, she’s the bringer of new ideas, the communicator to our designers, the organizer of projects, and the goddess of Facebook among other things.
You already know she loves taking road trips. (Her most recent road trip left her calling AAA to push her out of a spring snow bank.) She spends her free time organizing her craft room and creating cards, Susan style.
She is a Detroit Tigers fan, a Michigan fan, and a natural-born cheerleader. (If you ever meet her in person, you’ll have to ask her to do the Paper Crafts cheer. Yes, you read that right; she came up with a Paper Crafts cheer.)
But for this birthday tribute, I wanted to dig deeper to find out other little-known factoids that I could share with the Paper Crafts world—tidbits that not everyone knows. So I went straight to her sister, Beth Opel, to get the goods. Here’s what she had to say:
- Susan has a real affinity for Miss Piggy, as well as Grover.
- Her favorite singer is John Cougar Mellencamp. “Jack and Diane” is her all-time favorite song. (I also have it on good authority that she likes Kid Rock as well!)
- She collects books by John Grisham, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Sue Grafton.
- She is extremely patriotic and used to have flags and other USA memorabilia all around her apartment, even on her Christmas tree.
- She can’t golf because her chest gets in the way!
Here we have confirmation Susan, 80’s Susan, and cheerleader Susan!
Susan is great to have in the office and is always the life of the party—as long as that party ends by 9:00 pm sharp. This lady is very much a morning person.
Being a former English teacher and lover of the English language, Susan is always coming up with haikus. Here is my birthday haiku tribute for Susan.
Birthday girl Susan!
Creative cheerleader fun.
Have a great year. Sing!
Now it’s your turn. Write a birthday haiku for Susan—remember 5/7/5 for syllables. Susan will pick her favorite to receive a little box of paper-crafting goodness. All haikus must be received by Friday, April 20th at 5 pm MDT.
Happy Birthday Susan!