Handmade Christmas Candy Bowl

Melinda Handmade Christmas Candy Bowl

Melinda Ward, Graphic Designer

I don’t see my family in California very often, but when they came out for Thanksgiving my mom had a great idea to make candy plates together.

I don’t mean plates for candy, I mean plates made of candy! It was something I had never seen before, but it was really fun.

First you need to buy a lot of candy in whatever colors you want. We mostly had starlight mints and candy canes, with a few regular hard candies for color.

Candy Pile Handmade Christmas Candy Bowl

Unwrap and lay the candies on a cookie sheet, on parchment paper, in whatever pattern you want.

Unmelted tree Handmade Christmas Candy Bowl

Then place your design in the oven at 350 degrees for 8 or so minutes.

Watch the candies closely, it’s really easy to lose track and then they melt everywhere.

Melty Tree Handmade Christmas Candy Bowl

Oops!

My tree never really turned out, but everyone else had great success!

Success Handmade Christmas Candy Bowl

From top: My husband, sister, and mom all finished with something you could use. My mom made her plate into a bowl by flipping her slightly cooled candies over a bowl I already had.

Something we learned the hard way: make sure you get all the same brand of candy. We ended up with two different brands with drastically different melting times.

Second tree attempt Handmade Christmas Candy Bowl

You can see which candies were different the second time I tried making a tree.

I had never even heard of doing this before my mom found it. Is this something that anyone else has done before? What other magical holiday crafts am I missing?

Happy holidays!

Melinda

This entry was posted in Holidays and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Handmade Christmas Candy Bowl

I did this a few years ago. I made a candy dish for our family Christmas gathering. Using the same brand of candy is a ‘must’ – I found out the hard way. My dish was a huge hit and after Christmas used Modge Podge on it to protect it for the next year. It lasted throughout the year and I would’ve used it the next year but I dropped it when I went to fill it. : ( Haven’t made another since but this might get me going! Thanks.

2. Lindsey says:

what a fabulous idea, so cute!

3. Janis in ID says:

Brilliant!!!!! I can already see in my mind some heart-shapes for Valentine’s Day, too.
    TFS!!!
    <3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com

4. Fun idea! And good tips, too. I have a feeling that if I made a candy bowl my kids would just secretly lick it all day. Yuck!

5. Lois Springer says:

My daughter and I have made gingerbread houses for about the last 11 years. The first couple years we use amber candies, melted in the windows. We’ve also melted blue candies and made streams, ponds, water features. Although lately we leave windows open and have cut outs on the roof so you can see all the interior designs. I have not thought of making bowls or plates but I like the idea.

6. Mendi Yoshikawa says:

What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing all your tips and tricks. :)

7. sue says:

Very cool…something I am going to do with the grandkids…thanks for all the tips too!

8. barbara lassiter says:

I’ve never heard of this, but it sounds like fun. My grandsons would probably love doing this! (if they could refrain from eating the candy)

9. Ms Linda says:

Thanks for sharing. Will try for New Year’s…Happy Holidays

10. Cindy C. says:

OH what a fun project!!

11. Robin Buchholz says:

What a great idea, I can’t wait to try and make these!

12. jengd says:

Cute idea! Wouldn’t have even thought of the 2 brands of the same candy being an issue.

13. LauraJane says: