Happy Boxing Day!

Kerri Happy Boxing Day!

Kerri Miller, Managing Editor

I can’t believe Christmas is over! It seems like it was just Thanksgiving. I’m still in the holiday mood and am not ready to put away my Christmas decorations or go back to work. Wait, what’s this? My calendar tells me it’s another holiday today. It’s Boxing Day!

I have no idea what Boxing day is. Does that mean I box up my Christmas décor and put it away for next year? Do I watch a boxing match? How do I celebrate this holiday? I really have no idea what to do on this holiday. This calls for some research!

Okay, here’s what I found:

51b15e02783a820fa9729666511e12e4 Happy Boxing Day!

Image Credit: Pinterest

• Boxing Day is a secular holiday celebrated in the UK, Ireland, Scotland, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia. Maybe we can start something here in the U.S. as well?
  • The origin of the holiday seems to differ but they all revolve around giving or helping the less affluent. 1) Boxing Day was a day off for servants when they received a “Christmas Box” or present from the master.  The servants would also go home to give Christmas Boxes to their families. 2) A box to collect money for the poor was placed on Churches on Christmas day and then opened the next day. 3) Great sailing ships when setting sail would have a sealed box containing money on a board for good luck. If the voyage was successful, the box was given to a priest and opened at Christmas and given to the poor.
  • Today, it’s celebrated as a holiday where people spend time visiting family friends, eating leftovers, enjoying outdoor activities, and shopping (think Black Friday).  Yep, I can do all of these things!
  • Some of the outdoor activities include football (soccer) matches, horse races, yacht races, and ice hockey to name a few. In days past, there was fox hunting involved.  It looks like people still get dressed up and gather up the dogs and horses for a prance through town.

boxing day fox hunt 2 Happy Boxing Day!

Image Credit: Getty Images

• And here’s one of the most entertaining parts of the holiday that I discovered! There are quite a few silly activities happening today including swimming races in icy waters most costume, rubber ducky races, and beagling – a mock fox hunt on foot.
 64943033 redcar boxing day dip 2012 091 Happy Boxing Day!

Image Credit: BBC

And there you have it – in a nutshell, a day off of work where people get together and have fun. I could get used to that. I’d love to hear what our international friends who celebrate this holiday are doing today.

Happy Boxing Day!

Kerri thumbnail Happy Boxing Day!

This entry was posted in Holidays and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Happy Boxing Day!

1. Ange B says:

Hi Kerri, I live in Melbourne Australia and Boxing Day has been around for as long as I can remember…pre 1971! It’s a public holiday, the middle of summer (was 25•C or 77•F today) and a day for relaxing with family and friends, eating left overs, shopping at bargain prices if you can bare the throngs, something I’ve never managed. A big tradition here in Melbourne is cricket, today More than 90,000 people watched Australia play England at the Melbourne Cricket ground (MCG). I managed to escape Melbourne today to visit my Mum in Ballarat, a large highly urbanised country town 80 mins from my home. Tomorrow being Friday means I’m having an extra day off, very Australian thing to do!
    I hope you have had a lovely Christmas!

Maybe the U.S. should adopt this holiday – we could enjoy leftovers from Christmas; box up items to donate to the less fortunate; and have some outdoor fun – skiing, skating, sledding etc.???

3. I was also going to comment that the Boxing Day test is a big day for cricket fans in Australia and whichever country they are playing the test series but Ange beat me to it. It’s often a day for relaxing after all the busy-ness leading up to Christmas. I hope you have had a lovely Christmas and have a relaxing day today.

4. Atticelf says:

Thank you! I have always wondered what it was but never got around to do doing the research. Happy Boxing Day!

5. Lindsey says:

I’m an Aussie living in the U.S and i really miss Boxing Day! Thankfully my hubby and I take the day off but it’s not quite the same especially in freezing weather, maybe the U.S will adopt it soon!!

6. Zina says:

Thanks for sharing the info – could use a day to unwind and relax a bit.
    Happy Boxing Day Everyone !!

7. Stephanie says:

Isn’t it Kwanzaa in the U.S. Today? –steph from Canada

8. Helen F. says:

Looks like a great tradition… Always enjoy a day off from work! :)

9. Deborah S says:

Yesterday was the first of Kwanza a seven day holiday celebrated here in the US and I’m not sure about any where else. Boxing Day was also spoke about yesterday here in the US and we were told that Boxing Day was when people (who had them) gave gifts to there servants and to the poor.

10. Dawn T says:

I’m from New Zealand and Boxing Day is a public holiday but the shops are open. Like those in Australia we are in the middle of summer and our annual holidays. Most NZers take time off to enjoy the summer (not that it’s been too great as lots of rain from Christmas Day onward in the Northern part of NZ where I live) Nicely extends the Christmas season.

11. Sheila says:

Here in snowy Canada we visited with some relatives and relaxed after a busy Christmas Day. On Christmas, the kids opened gifts at home then we went to my family’s for a lunchtime Christmas dinner before going to my in-laws for a supper-time (evening) Christmas Dinner. On Boxing Day, we had relatives arrive who celebrated at their home on Christmas Day. The kids also got to play with their gifts.