Groovin’ With the Go-to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots

Betsy Color Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots

Betsy Veldman, Paper Crafts Go-to Gal

I’m a hopeless DIYer.  Before I purchase just about anything I ask, “Could I make this myself?” Lots of times the answer is “yes” with a little work and creative thinking. One thing that has been eluding me, however, are the colorful enamel dots we’ve been seeing everywhere in the paper crafting world. Let’s face it – those little doo-dads aren’t exactly cheap, especially when I like to be generous with them! I’ve tried making them myself to no avail. Some of my attempts include acrylic paint, nail polish, painting over older not-so-stylish-anymore gems, and I even tried a clay mold.  Nothing produced great results, besides the fact that it was just too fussy and messy!

BUT, the other day I opened up Pinterest and I stumbled across this tutorial on melting plastic beads to make jewelry.  Eureka! It was just what I had been looking for. Off to raid my daughter’s stash of plastic beads. Oh what fun!

I’m happy to report success! After a little trial and error I have a nice little stash of flat-backed dots to use on my paper-crafted creations. Here are a few things I learned that I thought I would share with you.

First off, the regular “pony beads” that are readily available in the kid’s crafting aisle are a little large.  They melt down to form a circle that’s nearly ½” across…which is quite a bit larger than the typical enamel dots we see in the paper crafting world. I happened to find some smaller beads in my daughter’s drawer that worked out just about perfectly.  Here’s a shot that compares a typical pony bead (left) to the smaller beads I used (right).

beads2 Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots

Secondly, the tutorial said to cook the beads at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes.  I couldn’t see too much happening at that point, so I bumped it up to 450 and it took a good 20 minutes. I would suggest just keeping an eye on it – oh, and crack a window or two, because it does get a little smelly!

Here are my beads before (lined up on a sheet of parchment paper)…

Beads1 Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots
pinit fg en rect gray 20 Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots

And after… beads3 Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots pinit fg en rect gray 20 Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots
I couldn’t resist using those cute little dots on a few projects for you today.

On this card they made a cute accent for my thought bubble.

Thinking of You Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots
pinit fg en rect gray 20 Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots

This card does use one of the larger dots made from a typical pony bead so you can see the size difference here.

Thinking of You dtl Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots

And for my second card today I used them to embellish these awesome feather stamps from Close To My Heart.

Birthday Feathers Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots pinit fg en rect gray 20 Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots
So bright and colorful.

Birthday Feathers dtl Groovin’ With the Go to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots

I had so much fun playing around with this and I am so excited about the fact that it worked!  Yay!  No more hoarding those little dots!  I’m off to cook up some more…

Betsy

This entry was posted in Go-to Gals and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to Groovin’ With the Go-to Gals – DIY Enamel Dots

1. Karen L K says:

Wow great idea!! I was wondering how they come out so nice and even.

2. Pingback: GØR-DET-SELV (DIY) ENAMEL DOTS |

3. SiskiyouSue says:

I’ve been thinking there must be a way to make them. How easy! Thank you.

4. Rhonda H says:

Great idea! I have also used Viva Decor Pearl Pens on waxed paper to make my own…and I get to choose the size. (And not wonder about toxic fumes.)

5. patsy says:

This should NOT be done in a home oven. The fumes could be toxic. No crafting should be done in an oven that is used for food! Use a toaster oven that is dedicated to crafts only. Great idea but do it safely.

6. Kristin says:

I can’t wait to go home and make some of these, such fun!!!

7. CLARA GOLOD says:

I have seen a lot of awesome ideas for cards can’t wait to make up my own with some of the ideas. thank you, Clara

8. marlene says:

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

9. I love DIY crafting !!!

10. Judy B says:

Great idea! Sometimes it just takes a little ingenuity to spark that creative process. Thanks for sharing with us.

11. Arlene says:

The best place to do the toxic stuff is outside. The toaster oven used for crafting only is the safest way to go.

12. I am making these right now! thanks so much for the wonderful idea! :)

13. SallyB. says:

great idea, I´m looking for my beads ;o)

14. Nancy Carroll says:

great idea, embellishments and they do cost so much!

15. Super idea! I’ve spent a small fortune on some of those enamel dots. I don’t have beads but I know I can get a whole lot of beads even for the price of one pack of dots! Thanks for the tip!

16. Pingback: Tips: Turn a Bead into a Card Embellishment | Stamping | CraftGossip.com

17. Anne V says:

Any one try to do this using a heat gun instead of oven? Maybe less smelly?

18. Candy Danielson says:

Do you have to use parchment paper?? also doesn’t the paper burn ?

19. Me-Bear says:

This is awesome! I just recently saw some projects using enamel dots and I was wondering where to buy. Now I don’t even have to! Thanks to your tutorial I can make them myself. Ha! Wait till I can make my friends jealous LOL
    Okay. The friends really paying attention, will know this before I can show them, because of course I had to pin this :)
    I know tomorrow it’s going to get smelly in my kitchen :D
    Will have to look if they sell pony beads in the Dutch stores too. But I have quite a lot of the smaller ones :)

xx Monica